It’s Christmas Day, and a proper time to appreciate the rose window in St. Paul’s chapel, which reproduces a painting titled “Madonna and the Holy Children, Jesus and John.”
The rose window was originally installed in St. Paul’s Memorial Chapel on Lancaster Street, and dedicated on March 29, 1942 by G. Ashton Oldham, bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Albany.
It was given in memory of Randall J. LeBoeuf, St. Paul’s vestryman from 1914 to 1930, and warden from 1930 until his death in 1939. LeBoeuf (born 1870) was an attorney specializing in banking and corporate law, the founder of the Albany Trust Company (later First Trust Company) and a justice of the New York Supreme Court.
Did you notice the brilliant blue glass that surrounds the figures? The Times Union for March 27, 1942 tells us the story of that glass, which was shipped from England to Boston during World War II:
The first ship carrying the glass was torpedoed in the Atlantic, but was beached and the cargo saved. The glass was placed on another ship which also was torpedoed and again the cargo was reloaded, and this time the glass arrived at its destination. When delivered, the packing case was still wet and on it was painted, “Great Britain Delivers the Goods.”
A small miracle that the glass arrived safely, and that on a Christmas Day almost seventy-five years later it still graces our chapel!
Pingback: Creighton R. Storey and the Trinity Institution | Grain, Once Scattered
Pingback: St. Paul’s Tiffany Window | Grain, Once Scattered
Pingback: The Neemes Memorial Lectern | Grain, Once Scattered